Game Fixes: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (Crashes, Freezes, No Sound, Lag, etc)
Last Updated on Sunday, 22 May 2011 01:18 Written by DarkKnightH20 Thursday, 19 May 2011 01:18
With the relatively new release of The Witcher Two: Assassins of Kings, we decided it would be great to compliment this release with game fixes for it! Many PC users are excited to know that the gameplay is just as fun as before. It will be coming to Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 (PS3) accordingly.
This game IS with errors, such as those that come with performance degradation or black screens, but once you move passed those and troubleshoot them, this game is gold. Follow our guide the best you can to help play this game as it should be — perfect and without errors. That’s not say it’ll solve the possible memory leak issue, but it’ll help.
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Lagging
If you have lag, then it may not necessarily be that your hardware is bad for this game. Even great video cards / graphics cards coupled with fantastic processors can have issues running this game at the moment due to lack of optimization done to the game. There are ways to try to treat or fix this issue though! Try one or even several of these tips / recommendations:
– Turn off Uber Sampling / UberSampling! This is especially not necessary if you do NOT have a crossfire / xfire or SLI setup!
– If turning off UberSampling doesn’t help enough, then try also turning off (or lowering) AntiAliasing / Anti-Aliasing (AA) and Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (SSAO)
– Lower the game resolution
– Enable VSYNC
– Lower Video Sampling and Texture Memory
– Download the latest and greatest drivers, as they generally provide frames per second (FPS) / performance increases (you can even try the beta drivers if you’d like) and bug fixes that help tackle other issues, such as black screens or graphical artifacts / glitches. The NVIDIA beta drivers apparently help increase the FPS rate by 20 or so FPS, though this is not necessarily the case for everyone.
– Some people have had significant performance increases from uninstalling / disabling the NVIDIA 3D Vision Drivers
There will be patches released for this game to help tackle some of the performance and compatibility issues, but until then you’ll have to give it a shot yourself. Note that when lowering things like textures and so forth, you may notice next-to-no difference at all so you gain performance with minimal loss in graphics.
Download Suspended / Stuck at 67%
A common problem when downloading the game is that it gets stuck at 10967.4 mb or 67%. There’s not much control over this, but you can try…
– Pausing / Unpausing the download
– Switching the server / download zone from which you are downloading from
– Disabling your firewall or anything that could mess with the download process
– Restarting the download (not the best option, huh?) (delete what you have — the local content)
– Restart your computer or Steam
Cannot Load / Import Previously Saved Game From The Witcher 1
Some people have had this issue. You must make sure that the saved file has:
1) Completed the game completely
2) The save file is from the actual end in the courtyard of the Order of the Flaming Rose
You can always use someone else’s save file if you’re having issues, such as one posted HERE.
Connection Error / Downloadable Content (DLC) Option Grayed / Blacked Out
This seems to be happening to some people. currently, we’ve got no good solutions for it — just the usual suggestions of disabling your firewall and so forth. If anyone has some ideas, feel free to comment!
The Witcher 2 Fails to Launch / Freezes on Launch
If the Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings hangs after launching or gets stuck, then try using these game fix solutions:
– Verify Your Game Cache (Steam -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache)
– Reinstall the game (Ouch)
– Run the game in ADMIN mode (for both Steam, The Witcher 2 launcher, and the game exe)
– Set the launcher / Steam / Game exe to run in Windows XP Compatibility mode
CRC Error When Installing Game
This is for actual CD or DVD copies of the game — those of you who bought it through retail rather than through Steam. There’s not much you can do other than trying to return the game and exchanging it for a new copy. Sometimes it could just be your DVD / CD drive though, so be sure first before returning the game or exchanging it!
ATI Hotfix for the Witcher 2
There is an ATI Hotfix currently being created for the Witcher 2! It’ll help provide performance increases. More information can be read HERE.
Game Crashes to Desktop (C2D / CTD)
This fortunately doesn’t seem to be overly common…But there are some ways to tackle this problem and fix it!
– Run the game in Windows XP compatibility mode
– Lower your game settings from ultra to high
– Update your drivers (graphics card drivers specifically)
– Close any programs that seem like they could interfere with the game
Later patches will generally help solve these problems, but until then, just try the above suggestions. Lowering the game settings does fix it for some people, and there generally isn’t too huge of a difference in graphics.
No Audio / Sound Doesn’t Work for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
If your game audio or music isn’t working, then try some of these steps:
– Download and install the English Language packs from the DLC game menu
– Go to Start -> Run -> “DXDIAG” -> Sound tab — and under DirectX Features drag the Hardware Sound Acceleration level from “Full Acceleration” to “No Acceleration”
– Go to Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> click the “Advanced” button under “Speaker settings” -> Performance tab — drag Hardware acceleration from “Full” to “None” and you can also try the same for the Sample rate conversion quality (from Best to Good)
– Sometimes these issues occur when using 7.1 speakers or headphones / headsets…Running in a 5.1 configuration or even a 2.1 normal stereo configuration may help.
Note that you should try these steps one at a time and for those that require meddling with your computer’s audio settings, be sure to revert them back to their normal state if they do not fix the problem.
Mouse is Too Sensitive / Fast
Locate your user.ini and change the smoothness=1 to smoothness=0. Alternatively, if you have a mouse that supports DPI modifications, then change your DPI that way if desired.
How to Remap the Keyboard Keys
You may want to change the default keys used for the game. While the launcher allows you to change them through there, it will not let you change the arrow keys or some other keys. You can force this change, however, by modifying the users.ini file (My Documents\\Witcher 2\\Config\\users.ini). On line 69 is where all the fun begins. Rather than reinvent the wheel here, a very good thread on doing the remapping has been created HERE. Be sure to (A) Exit the game entirely (including the launcher) before doing this AND make a backup of your users ini file.
Processor: Core 2Duo 2.2 GHz or dual core AMD 2.5 GHz
RAM: 1 GB Windows XP, 2 GB Windows Vista/7
Graphics: GeForce 8800 512 MB or Radeon (HD3850 512 MB)
HDD Space: 16 GB
Processor: Quad Core Intel or AMD
RAM: 3 GB Windows XP, 4 GB Windows Vista/7
Graphics: GeForce 260 1 GB or (HD4850 1 GB)
HDD Space: 16 GB
Incoming search terms:
- witcher 2 crash
- the witcher 2 lag fix
- the witcher 2 no sound
- witcher 2 black screen
- witcher 2 no sound
- the witcher 2 crashes
- the witcher 2 black screen
- witcher 2 freezes
- the witcher 2 freezing
- witcher 2 crashing
- msvcr100 dll witcher 2
- the witcher 2 laggy
- the witcher 2 lagging
- witcher 2 lags